This month, I would like to touch on a few topics of interest.
Kudos: To Terah Thesen for having completed 10 years as a loyal employee of the Town. We appreciate Terah and her willingness to serve our citizens presently as FCSS Director and office staff. Thanks Terah for your good services!
Kudos: To Jill Heninger for having successfully completed the clerk course for Local Board of Appeal.
Kudos: To our Town Councillors, CAO , Operation Manager and Water and Waste Water Foreman for responding to the needs of Fort McMurray by sparing two employees to work on their Water Treatment and Sewer Plants.
Congrats: To the Cardston Cougars Boys Baseball Team for becoming the Provincial Champions. They were awesome and displayed wonderful sportsmanship!
Congrats: To the fine performance of our senior local dancers from Jodi’s Dance Academy for their outstanding performances at the competition level.
Congrats: To the School and Women's Cantrice choirs for their excellent year end performances.
Congrats: To the Lions Club for celebrating their 75th year anniversary as an organization. The Cardston Lions Club is a great Town partner that help us with grant funding for various projects. Thank you, Lions Club we appreciate your dedication to our Town and its citizens!
Taxation: By now you will have received your Property Assessment. You are now readily able to compare the assessed value of our property for 2016 with the 2015 assessed value.
· The story to be told - Cardston collective 2016 tax dollar amount is less that the collective tax dollars in 2011!
· The good news story – The 2016 Municipal portion of the Mill rate is the same as in 2015 for Residential and Non-residential Properties.
· The not-so good story- The Education Mill rate and the Subsidized Housing Mill rates did go up slightly. Council does not control these mill rates, but they affect your overall property taxes.
· This 2016 budget is very lean, but it has the necessary inflationary contingencies and reserves in place to fulfill our operational and capital needs and cover unforeseen expenditures.
· Many thanks to our Administrator, Jeff Shaw, and to our accountant Hakon Skoien for their excellent efforts in establishing our 2016 budget along with our 2017 and 2018 draft budget projections.
· Pow Wow. Change in dates: This year Pow Wow will take place in Lion’s Park on July 13 only. Incorporated in the program, we will also have our very own Southern Alberta Entertainers. Larry and Lloyd Kunkel and Cam Clark will perform at the 2016 Pow Wow in Lions’ Park. Brent Bevans with Russell Red Crow will be the announcers. They are quite an entertaining pair! A Chautauqua Vignette will be part of the show. Please invite your friends and families to see this beautiful display of pageantry, and share an appreciation for our Southern Alberta aboriginal culture. In the Spirit of Reconciliation, together let us build bridges.
· Chautauqua: A first in Southern Alberta! The week after Heritage Days…A many faceted cultural celebration event that will take place in Raymond, Magrath, Stirling and Cardston. Watch for more information to come soon from our Chautauqua’s Committee spearheaded by Cllr's. Bengry and Peavoy.
Safety and Security: A continuous reminder to be vigilant and to secure your property and belongings at all times. When away from home, take advantage of the RCMP Registry. Call the local detachment to register, and report unusual car or foot traffic in your neighbourhood.