Cardston has a recently updated Sewer Treatment Plant. The upgrades to our plant improved performance of our infrastructure and mitigated damages to our surrounding environment. In order to ensure that our sewer system is well maintained and is self sufficient, the following rates are charged to all locations connected to the system.

Monthly Charge

Consumption Charge

In Town Residential
In Town Multi-Unit

Blood Reserve Residential
County Residential

$40.50 for First Unit
$20.50 for Subsequent Units


In Town Commercial with Meter


20 – 50 m3 – $1.35/m3
51 – 100 m3 – $1.15/m3
101 – 250 m3 – $0.95/m3
250+ m3– $0.74/m3

In Town Commercial without Meter
Blood Reserve Commercial 





20 – 50 m3 – $2.03/m3
51 – 100 m3 – $1.72/m3
101 – 250 m3 – $1.42/m3
250+ m3 – $1.11/m3

Commercial Water Loss Factor
A water loss factor may be applied to non-residential customers that have significant water loss. Water loss is defined as incoming metered water that is diverted away from the town’s sewer system, and therefore does not get treated. For example, commercial customers with significant irrigation or water consumed in a product or manufacturing process may qualify for a water loss factor. Customers that have significant water loss can make application to the town for consideration of a water loss factor. The customer will be required to prove significant water loss.

Institutional Water Loss Factor
A water loss factor may be applied to Institutional customers that have significant use of metered water for irrigation purposes. Where there is significant irrigation use, billing will be capped at the maximum of average winter water consumption from November 1st to March 31st of the previous year. In cases where there is no historical data, average winter consumption will be based on similar properties or other relevant measures.

Natural Gas

The Natural Gas infrastructure in Cardston is owned and maintained by ATCO Gas. If you need a natural gas connection or if your connection requires servicing, please contact ATCO Gas:

  • General Inquiries: 403-310-5678
  • 24 Hour Emergencies: 1-800-511-3447
  • Local Office: 403-653-3995

Residents in Cardston have a number of suppliers to choose from for Natural Gas:


The Town of Cardston owns and operates the electrical infrastructure system within the Town of Cardston. Property owners must choose an electrical retailer prior to connection to the Town system.

Solar Production

Cardston produces approximately 200mWh of solar electricity annually from solar panels installed on two Town owned facilities. The systems are sized to net-zero the facilities, producing slightly more electricity than the facilities consume annually, saving the tax payers approximately $20,000 per year at current rates. Any excess electricity produced during high output days is fed back into the Town owned grid and distributed to other facilities in Cardston.

Production data for each facility can be view by clicking on the respective links below.

 141 350 watt Solar Panels producing 52 mega watt hours of electricity every year.

141 350 watt Solar Panels producing 52 mega watt hours of electricity every year.

 406 350 watt solar panels producing 160 mega watt hours of electricity every year.

406 350 watt solar panels producing 160 mega watt hours of electricity every year.

Electrical Emergencies

For ELECTRICAL EMERGENCIES or power outages in the Town of Cardston please call

  • 403-308-0524 or

  • 403-653-5035

Code of Conduct

Complaints about contraventions of the Code of Conduct Regulation may be made to the Alberta Utilities Commission or the Market Surveillance Administrator. The Alberta Utilities Commission can be reached by contacting 1-780-427- 4903 or The Market Surveillance Administrator can be reached by contacting 1-403-705-3181 or The Alberta Utilities Commission and the Market Surveillance Administrator are independent of the Town of Cardston and the regulated rate suppliers and affiliated providers. For general and billing inquiries, refer to the contact information on your bill.

Town of Cardston Compliance Plan

Current Bylaw and Rates Schedule

Bylaw 1649B and Schedule A: Distribution Tariff


For information regarding a retail supplier of electricity in Cardston, here are some web sites to help:

Regulated Rate Option (RRO)

The regulated rate is the default electric energy price. It is a permanent option for Albertans and there is no end date. The RRO is the monthly rate for electricity automatically provided to all eligible customers who have not entered into a contract with a competitive electricity retailer. For details on the rate that is currently being charged to RRO customers you can check the recent RRO Energy Rates document.


Balance Pool Rider

What is the balancing pool rider?
You may notice a charge on your electric utility bill called the "Balancing Pool Rider". This is a charge of 0.00353 cents per kilowatt hour which goes towards the balancing poolThe Balancing Pool was established in 1999 by the Government of Alberta to help manage certain assets, revenues and expenses arising from the transition to competition in Alberta’s electric industry. Recent changes in provincial government policy have affected what was once a profitable balancing pool, necessitating the new charge. 



Alberta One Call

Before commencing any excavation please call Alberta One Call to have the utilities marked. Call toll free at 1-800-242-3447 or request a locate online at


The vision of the Alberta Electric Utility Safety Association (AEUSA) is to promote electric utility safety within the Province of Alberta. Visit their site at

Where’s the line?

The following is a list of links to materials and resources dedicated to working safely around power lines.
Where’s the line: on Facebook
Where’s the line: Media


Recycling Centre.jpg

The Cardston Recycling Program has been run by the Cardston and District Association for the Handicapped (CDAH) since 2006. The CDAH does an amazing job diverting waste from our landfill and helping our community Re-use and Recycle. The following list of materials will help you know how to recycle most effectively.


Includes flattened cardboard and boxboard like cereal boxes, kleenex boxes, or cardboard cylinders. Remove all plastics. Must be clean and dry.

Recycled into new cardboard products


Includes tin or aluminum cans like soup cans or lids from glass jars and bottles. Must be clean, labels removed, and uncrushed.

Recycled into new metal products

Newspapers and Magazines

Newspapers and magazines includes glossy inserts, coupons, and small thick. Remove all plastics. Must be clean and dry.

Recycled into new paper

Mixed Office Paper

Mixed office paper includes printed white and coloured papers, file folders, and envelopes without windows. Remove all plastics.

Recycled into new paper


All clear glass except lightbulbs, windows, or coloured glass. Remove all lids. Must be clean.

Recycled into new glass products


Electronic waste includes computers, servers, laptops, tablets, printers, speakers, monitors, keyboards, mice, cables, and televisions. 

Recycled into new glass, metal and plastics

The Following Materials Cannot be Accepted

Wrapping paper, carbon paper, tissues, paper towels, glued or wire bound books, phone books, waxed cardboard, juice or milk cartons, styrofoam, plastic bags, laminated papers, aluminum foil, aerosol cans, paint cans, oil containers, varsol cans, batteries.


Toxic waste can not be taken to any recycling stations, the transfer station, or the landfill. Toxic waste includes things like paint, spray paint, oil, antifreeze, materials containing mercury, etc. 

These can be taken to the Waste & Recycling Centre at the Lethbridge Regional Landfill for proper disposal. For details on what is accepted at the Centre, you can visit or call 403-329-7367.


Recycling Locations

Cardboard Trailer at Transfer Station

Cardboard Trailer at Transfer Station


Blue Trailer at Recycling Building


Bottle Depot