Development and Planning

Development & Planning

Development or Subdivision within the Town of Cardston will require that you follow the Bylaws that are in place. The Bylaws that apply to development & subdivisions are: Municipal Development Plan, Bylaw 1631; Intermunicipal Development Plan, Bylaw 1565; Land Use Bylaw, Bylaw 1647C; West Cardston Area Structure Plan, Bylaw 1559D; East Cardston Area Redevelopment Plan, Bylaw 1573.   

Development & Planning Bylaws and Amendments:                            

The Cardston Development Office can help you understand how each Bylaw applies to the development that you are wishing to complete. You can call or come in to the Office and the Development Officer will review your plans and help you through the process of applying for the permits or filling out any applications that you will require.  

Municipal Development Plan 1631

A Municipal Development Plan (MDP) is a statutory plan that must be consistent with Provincial Land Use Policies; it is a long range planning tool that addresses the future land use, future development, transportation and other municipal services.  

Intermunicipal Development Plan 1565

An Intermunicipal Development Plan (IMDP) is another statutory plan used to control development and address planning issues between neighboring municipalities. IMDP’S promote coordination between municipalities in areas of joint interest. The Plan sets up rules for addressing land use concerns and creates the procedures for dealing with development within a defined area along the boundary of the municipalities. The Town of Cardston has an Intermunicipal Development Plan with Cardston County.

Land Use Bylaw 1647C

The Land Use Bylaw regulates the land uses and development within the Town limits. This Bylaw breaks the Town up into different zones that allow different types of development. (ex. Residential, Commercial, Industrial etc.). The Bylaw also has two different types of developments: permitted uses and discretionary uses. Permitted uses are the developments that are allowed in the zone. If the development fits the required setbacks from the property lines and other general rules, a Development Permit may be issued. The Discretionary Uses require an approval by the Subdivision and Development Authority prior to receiving a Permit. The Authority meets once a month to make decisions on discretionary uses.

West Cardston Area Structure Plan 1559D

East Cardston Area Redevelopment Plan 1573

Area Structure & Redevelopment plans are in place to design and regulate the development in a certain area in the Town limits. The purpose of these plans is to provide a framework for subdivision and development within the specified area that allows for the distribution and collection of utilities, drainage & traffic. The plans also provide some certainty to adjacent landowners and interested parties as to what the future development in the area will be.

Development Permits

A Development Permit is the first requirement that you will need to complete prior to starting any development within the Town of Cardston. You can apply for a development permit at the Town office, you will need to have a drawing of the development that you want to complete showing all the distances from property lines, all other structures, as well as the height and size of the project. If the development fits the regulations in the Land Use Bylaw and is a permitted use you can receive a Development Permit. Once you have a Development Permit you will need to get a Building Permit.

Building Permits

A Building permit is required prior to you starting any construction within the Town limits. It is obtained from Park Enterprises Ltd. in Lethbridge (the building inspectors that the Town contracts to oversee and inspect construction within the Town limits). To get a Building Permit you will need to have a Development Permit from the Town, two full sets of plans for the development which Park Enterprises will review and if they fit the building codes, they will give you a Building Permit.


The first step in doing a subdivision is to come into the Town office and speak to the Development Officer to see if the subdivision that you want to do complies with the Bylaws that are in place. The Development Officer will review your plans, and if they fit the Bylaws that are in place, you can get an application form that will need to be submitted to Oldman River Regional Service Commission (ORRSC). You will then need to contract a surveyor to have them draw the plot plan that is needed to complete the subdivision. Once you have all the necessary information, ORRSC will file the application, send letters out to the adjourning land owners, and a public meeting will be set for the Subdivision and Development Authority to review the application and make a decision. If the subdivision plan is approved and not appealed by anyone, ORRSC will file the final subdivision. After Alberta Land Titles accepts the final plan, your surveyor will set the new pins in the property lines and your subdivision will be completed.

2019 Project Schedule

Project / Task Name

Planned Start

Planned End




7 Ave West Main-1st Street

11-Jun 3-Jul

2-Jul 19-Jul


6th Street West 1-2 Ave


Water (Potable)

7 Ave West Main-1st Street

3-Jun 22-Jul

10-Jun 30-Jul


6th Street West 1-2 Ave



3rd street East 3-4 Ave






7 Ave West Main-1st sections/corners



Jr High Sidewalk




3rd street East 3-4 Ave




7 Ave West Main-1st Street




6th Street West 1-2 Ave




Town Facilities

Pool Building Hvac




Council Chambers Upgrades





Tot Lot and Irrigation





Redford Dugouts




Town Square Fence and Dugouts





Electrical Upgrades





*** In Progress

Mosquito Control

The first three stages—egg, larva, and pupa—are largely  aquatic . These stages typically last five to 14 days, depending on the species and the ambient temperature.... Bloodsucking mosquitoes, depending on species, gender, and weather conditions, have potential adult lifespans ranging from as short as a week to as long as several months. (Wikipedia, Mosquito)

The first three stages—egg, larva, and pupa—are largely aquatic. These stages typically last five to 14 days, depending on the species and the ambient temperature.... Bloodsucking mosquitoes, depending on species, gender, and weather conditions, have potential adult lifespans ranging from as short as a week to as long as several months. (Wikipedia, Mosquito)

Cardston has its share of mosquitos during the summer months, when conditions are right and there are bodies of still water laying around. 

In an attempt to get a handle the mosquito problem, the Town has engaged in an aggressive mosquito control program.

We focus on both larvicide and on adulticide to control the population as much as possible. Larvicide is carried out by adding a chemical to stagnant water supplies that either kills or prevents the maturation of mosquitos in the pupa or larval stage. It is the most effective method of mosquito prevention, since there can be tens of thousands of mosquito larva killed with a single application in a larger body of stagnant water like a pond. 

Adulticide is much less effective. The Town conducts spraying, or fogging, certain areas with a pesticide called Malathion ULV (Ultra Low Volume). Application of Malathion can only occur on days that fall within a certain range of heat, moisture, and wind so the exact day and time of the applications is always uncertain. Further, the malathion dissipates quite rapidly and only affects those mosquitos it comes directly into contact with. So while fogging may appear more effective than larvicide, it generally kills only a fraction of the number larvicide does.

We encourage all Town residents to educate themselves regarding Malathion ULV in preparation for summertime application so that all residents and households in Town can keep themselves safe while spraying is ongoing. We have assembled a short list of government prepared documents that explain how Malathion works, the potential dangers to humans, and how to stay safe.

To ensure your health and that of your family, please stay away from the applicator while adulticiding is taking place. If you have respiratory problems, allergies, small children, or if you are pregnant or nursing please stay inside with the windows closed and the A/C shut off to avoid breathing in the airborne pesticide. If you are concerned about Malathion ULV fogging near your residence, please submit your concern to the Town at

Street Snow Removal

The Town of Cardston works to make our roads as safe as possible during the winter months, while conserving tax dollars. We have developed a map of priority routes that focuses on providing emergency personnel with access to key facilities, and opening up the main arteries of the the Town for access. 

Please be advised that routes listed as Priority Levels 1 and 2 may get plowed repeatedly before Priority levels 3, 4, and 5 if snow continues to fall.

Note: This schedule is a guideline only. After inspection, the Supervisor, at his discretion may adjust the priorities to meet needs and conditions.