Did you know that the Town of Cardston was first incorporated as a Village?
Back in 1898, most of Western Canada was still part of the North West Territories. On December 20th, 1898, under the provisions of The Village Ordinance of the North West Territories, the Lieutenant Governor issued an Order in Regina that three new areas of the Territory be established as Villages: Alameda, Broadview, and Cardston.
Alameda and Broadview were in the then District of Assiniboia, NWT (modern day Saskatchewan), and Cardston was in the District of Alberta, NWT. At the time, the entire population of the NWT was about equal to the population of the City of Lethbridge today. All three areas had elections on January 10th, 1899, and were officially established after they had elected an 'overseer'.
The Village of Cardston didn't remain as a village for very long, in less than two years the population had grown significantly, and the Village of Cardston petitioned the government for an ordinance to incorporate the village as a municipality under the name of the Town of Cardston. On June 12, 1901 the Town of Cardston was incorporated by Ordinance by the Lieutenant Governor of the North West Territories. The Ordinance came into effect on July 9th, 1901, when the first Council of the Municipality of the Town of Cardston was elected, and Cardston's founder, Charles Ora Card, was elected the first Mayor. Four years later, Alberta became it's own province, and all the towns and villages, which were formerly in the North West Territories, were naturalized into the new Province of Alberta.