Council is currently considering a draft of a new Cat Bylaw. This new Bylaw has a number of changes that are very important for all current and future cat owners to be aware of. These changes will take effect after Third and Final Reading of the Bylaw, which is scheduled for April 14, 2015. Some of the important changes to the Cat Bylaw include:
- License fees have been increased and a new category for 'unaltered' cats has been added to encourage owners to spay or neuter their animals.
- The fines for infractions have been divided by severity into Levels A, B, and C, much like the recently passed Dog Bylaw.
- Fines for feeding cats or animals outdoors have been introduced to limit the attractants for scavengers, predators, and nuisance or feral animals.
- A fine has been added for failing to confine an unaltered cat while it is in heat.
- Some clauses have been added to give greater protection to the Animal Control Officers and greater authority for them to pursue and capture stray or feral cats.
If you have concerns about this bylaw, we would invite you to come and make a short 5 minute presentation to Council at the CCW meeting on April 7, 2015 at 4:00 PM so that your concerns will be heard and taken into account. If you would like to speak to Council, please contact the Town Office at 403-653-3366 for details. We must be informed of your desire to speak to this item no later than April 2, 2015.
If you would like to read through a complete draft of the Cat Bylaw, click here.