Frequently Asked Questions 

Q. What is a Peace Officer?
A. A Peace Officer is appointed by the Alberta Ministry of Justice and Solicitor General, but is employed by the Town of Cardston to enforce Municipal Bylaws and select Provincial Legislation. 

Q. What is the different between a Peace Officer and a Bylaw Officer?
A. A Bylaw Officer has only the authority set out by the Town of Cardston, and may only enforce and detain, for the purpose of investigating contraventions of the Town of Cardston bylaws. A Peace Officer has a higher level of authority to enforce, detain, and arrest, for the purpose of investigation of Provincial Legislation.  

Q. There is a vehicle parked on the street in front of my residence. The vehicle is not blocking my driveway but it is annoying because the owner always parks their vehicle there. What should I do?
Although this may be frustrating, unfortunately you as a resident do not own the town street. People may park in front of your residence, so long as there is no contravention of a bylaw. 

Q. Can I make an anonymous complaint?
No you cannot. Unfortunately Municipal Enforcement does not accept anonymous complaints, and will not investigate complaints with missing contact information. Any complaint made with Municipal Enforcement must be accompanied by the complainant’s full name, date of birth, and address (mailing and physical). This will allow for the best and most efficient investigative process possible, and hopefully creating a faster outcome for the complainant. 

Q. Does my personal information get released to the person I am complaining about?
As a general rule your information will not be released to the Subject of Complaint. However there are two exceptions to this rule. If you are required to attend court as a result of your complaint, we are legally obligated to disclose all of the information to the defendant. Or if someone makes an application under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, we may be required to release your information. 

Q. Can an officer enter onto my property without a warrant?
Yes an officer may enter onto your property without a warrant to investigate a complaint, as set out in legislation and case law. However an officer may not enter into a dwelling house without having first receiving consent from an owner or a person in charge of the dwelling. When applicable, Peace Officers will first attempt to contact an owner or person in control of a property, prior to visiting. 

Q. Can I be arrested by a Peace Officer?
Yes, Peace Officers have powers of arrest pursuant to the legislation identified on their individual appointments.